The Heartwood Program is offering an open substance use support group for adults ages 18 -70+ years who would benefit from weekly group therapy focused on examining unsatisfactory life patterns surrounding their substance use, forming healthier relationships, improving communication, enhancing social skills, and improving daily living.
Enrollment and Participation
Enrollment is rolling, and the group will take place in person at our offices in Bethesda on Tuesdays from 6-7:30pm.
Group members typically participate in this group therapy for 12-16 weeks.
Is This The Right Group For You?
This Substance Use Support Group is appropriate for those struggling with:
- Substance Use Disorder
- Managing or Controlling the Frequency and/or Amount of Substances Taken
- Depression Contributed By or in Conjunction With Substance Use
- Anxiety Contributed By or in Conjunction With Substance Use
- Self-Defeating Behaviors
- Low Self-Esteem
- Communication and Relationships
- Distress Tolerance
- Managing Conflict
- Coping with Life Situations
- Family, Work, and/or Financial Distress
Screening and Intake Process
What to Expect:
- Schedule Your Screening: Please complete our Service Request Form or call us at 301-970-4099 to schedule your 30-minute screening today.
- Admission: During the 30-minute screening, individuals will be invited to join and participate within the group, based upon clinical recommendation by the group facilitators. Information on when and how to join your first group will be provided to you at the screening.
- Complete Paperwork: Upon admission to the Substance Use Support Group, you will be provided with patient portal access, where you will find intake paperwork to be completed. **Please complete all intake paperwork prior to your first group session.
- Join Us! After you’ve been admitted to the group and have completed your intake paperwork, you will be provided with a start date and an outline for your individualized treatment plan. We look forward to working with you!
Meet Our Group Facilitators
Substance Use Disorder Specialist Substance Use Disorder Specialist
- What is Substance Use Disorder?
- Is AA For You? – A pamphlet that introduces 12-step programming, and helps to identify if you may be experiencing an alcohol use disorder or drug use disorder
- About Depression
- A Useful Interactive Tool for Understanding Emotions